Bacalhau à Gomes de Sá
- Total Time
- 2 Lb. Salted Cod
- 2 Lb. Potatoes
- 2 Cups Milk
- 3 Onions, Sliced
- 3 Cloves Garlic, Crushed
- 4 Hard-Boiled Eggs
- 1/2 Cup Olive Oil
- 20 Black Olives
- 1 Bunch Parsely
- 1. Soak the cod in water for 24 to 36 hours and change the water every 8 hours.
- 2. After cod is desalted, remove bones from cod and shred it in small pieces.
- 3. Bring milk to a boil then turn off the heat. Infuse cod pieces in hot milk for about 1 to 2 hours.
- 4. Peel potatoes and cook them in boiling water for 25 minutes.
- 5. Cut potatoes in ½ inch thick slices. Add salt and pepper.
- 6. Preheat oven to 375 F.
- 7. Meanwhile, add the onions in a hot skillet with a little olive oil. Sauté for about 5 to 10 minutes. Add the garlic and continue cooking for 2 minutes.
- 8. In a casserole dish, drizzle ¼ cup of olive oil.
- 9. Add layers of potatoes, drained cod and the onion/garlic mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
- 10. Drizzle another ¼ cup of olive oil on top.
- 11. Bake for 40 minutes.
- 12. Garnish with quartered or sliced hard-boiled eggs, chopped parsley and black olives.